iTunes is one of the most popular app from Apple that is globally accepted by music lovers. As it just make syncing music library, playlists, purchases and music video playback across your Apple devices very easy. However, since macOS Catalina update, Apple Music App has now taken over the iTunes. Besides that, now you have other apps like Apple TV, Apple Podcasts, Apple Books to manage different media files. To access these you need to buy subscription from Apple.
So, if you have macOS versions earlier than Catalina, then iTunes guide is you. Here we will show you how you can uninstall, reinstall or clean iTunes junk and make it perform faster.
How To Reinstall The iTunes?
There can be various reasons for which you need to uninstall, reinstall or completely remove the iTunes from your Mac. For example, if your iTunes has got corrupted, or is not behaving according to your desires. However, if you wish to reinstall your iTunes, then you should take a backup of your music library if you don’t wish to lose them.
How To Back Up Your Music Library Before Uninstalling iTunes?
It is important to take a back up of your iTunes library before you wish to uninstall/reinstall it. This will keep your music, video and other iTunes media safe. You need to make sure that all your media is in one folder that will make transfer or restore easy and without losing them.
Here, is the steps to create iTunes library backup on your Mac:
- Open the iTunes app;
- On the top menu, choose File>Library and select “Organize Library;”
- Next, choose “Consolidate files” options and click on “OK“. This will create a copies of all your iTunes files within the iTunes Media folder;
Now, after consolidating your iTunes files, any copies that were out of the iTunes Media Folder will now be added to it. Now, its easy to transfer the iTunes media folder to an external drive or other location you want.
Also, to manage storage on your Mac, you can now delete those original files after you have successfully backed up the copies in your iTunes Media folder.
How To Find the iTunes Media folder On Mac?
- Open iTunes;
- From the top menu bar of the iTunes, select Edit > Preferences;
- Next, choose “Advanced” tab;
- Check the “iTunes Media Folder location“, field, click on “change” if you want to change it;
- Now, go to the iTunes Media Folder and copy/move the folder to a new location or your external drive.
- Once your iTunes Media library are safety backed up, now you are ready to uninstall or reinstall iTunes.
How To Restore iTunes Media Folder From External Drive To Mac?
Here’s how you can restore your iTunes media library from your external drive to your Mac.
- Quit iTunes;
- Now, copy your “iTunes folder” from the external hard drive to your internal drive, (you can choose any location);
- Now, while opening the iTunes, hold down the Options key;
- You will see a dialog box, asking you to choose “iTunes Library“, then click on “Choose Library“;
- Next, choose the location where you copied your iTunes media files;
- Select the iTunes Library.itl file within the iTunes Media Folder;
- Now, click Open.
Before macOS Catalina update, iTunes was the traditional tool that allows syncing, backing up and restores files within the iOS devices. So, if you are using earlier versions of macOS, then you will find this article useful.
Often iTunes gets stuck while syncing or throws various types of errors. So, a simple reinstall may help you fix several glitches. Otherwise you can try out the next step which is completely uninstalling iTunes and reinstalling it once again.
So, you should simply go to Mac App Store to check for the latest iTunes update. If available, then try to download and install the updates. The update may help fix minor issues like app freezing or crashing.
Cleaning iTunes junk
Using any application for long accumulates junk, that needs to be cleaned out regularly. This not only refreshes the app, but also saves plenty of storage taken up by old backups, cracked unfinished downloads, unwanted copies and more.
You can quickly clean iTunes junk by performing one-click scan from CleanMyMac X, that has a dedicated “iTunes Junk Cleaner” module.
How To Completely Uninstall iTunes From Mac?
If you want to completely remove iTunes from your Mac or just want to use it as a fresh one. Here’s is the step-by-step guide to completely uninstall iTunes from your Mac.
- Open Applications folder, drag the “iTunes” icon to the trash and empty the Trash; (if you get an error then follow the step 2 otherwise continue from 7)
- Within the application folder, right-click on the “iTunes.app” file and click on “Get Info;”
- Enter admin password by clicking on the padlock icon;
- Now, expand the “Sharing & Permissions” options and change the “Read & Write” settings to “everyone;”
- Now, close it and again perform the step 1;
- Next, open “Activity Monitor;“
- Locate “iTunes Helper” and move it to trash;
- Next, go to Library > then Preferences and remove “com.apple.itunes” files;
- Close the Window and restart your Mac.
Method 2: You can use the Uninstaller Module from the CleanMyMac X to quickly uninstall the iTunes from your Mac.
How to Reinstall iTunes on Mac?
To reinstall/install iTunes on your Mac, you can visit the official Apple website.
- Open Safari, go to the following address “https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/” and click on “Download”;
- Once the download finishes, double-click on the installer file to run it;
- When prompted, type in your login details, and click on “Install Software”;
- So, that’s how you can reinstall the iTunes.
You can also open Apple Mac Store on your Mac, search for “iTunes” and install the latest version of it.