If you are facing sudden redirects to S3.amazonaws.com, or similar other domains that have amazonaws in common, then you must check out this article.
What is amazonaws?
Before you flag amazonaws as a virus, let us make things clear for you. Amazon AWS is a legitimate Web Service by Amazon that provides plenty of cloud service to business, companies and websites. They can use the service to storage and manage their applications, store and compute data with latest technology like Machine learning, Internet Of Things and Artificial Intelligence.
Due to its immerse popularity and usability, scammers use the services of AWS to host malicious files, codes and even imitate their domain name to with slight changes to make it appear legit.
How Macs Get Infected With S3.amazonaws.com Redirect Virus?
The sudden redirects occurs when user unknowingly clicks any unknown link, download unknown file from spam emails or even mistyping URLs can redirect you to S3.amazonaws.com site.
The typical belief of Mac users is that “Macs can’t be infected with Virus“. But virus is actually a very broad term. In fact, there are various other annoying things that can hamper the security of your device. These type of viruses are categorized as an Adware. Click here to read more about Mac viruses and removal solution.
Adware mostly gets onto a Mac via being bundled with other software applications that you download off from internet. So, you may not know at the time of installing and finally end up being infected with Adware.
What s3.amazonaws.com Redirect Can Do?
The prime motive of Adware like S3.amazonaws.com is to take over the browser. Once they manages to do so, they will start showing enormous quantity of ads, pop-ups, spam links, banners and so on. They are so very tricky and attractive that sometimes it becomes irresistible and we click on them. However, you should never do so, as they can trick into installing other Adware that may be hard to remove.
Also, S3.amazonaws.com redirect shows survey pages asking visitors to claim their reward, Amazon gift card or an iPhone by simply completing a survey. Although, these tricks are not new, but still these are effective and many users fall for them and end up losing their data or money to scammers. Other than that, they are able to track your browsing activities that will ruin your entire browsing experience.
So, if your Mac is suddenly redirecting you to S3.amazonaws.com sites, then here is what you need to do to get rid of it.
How To Get Rid Of s3.amazonaws.com Redirect From Mac?
- Uninstall Malicious Applications
- Remove S3.amazonaws.com Fake Profile From Mac
- Remove S3.amazonaws.com From Login Items
- Block S3.amazonaws.com From Web Browsers (Safari, Chrome)
- Get Rid of S3.amazonaws.com with CleanMyMac X
Please follow the steps carefully in order to get rid of S3.amazonaws.com redirect successfully from Mac.
Uninstall Malicious Applications:
Next, it’s time to find and uninstall the unknown or malicious program that may have installed the S3.amazonaws.com virus.
- Open Application folder;
- Look for the apps which you don’t recognize or appear suspicious to you;
- Right-click on the Malicious app and select “Move to Trash“;
- Quickly empty your Trash bin.
- On Finder menu, choose Go > Go to Folder;
~/Library/LaunchAgentsin the search box and click Go;
- Now, find any suspicious items related to S3.amazonaws.com or other application you deleted above. If found move them to Trash;
Do the same for other locations:
~/Library/Application Support, /Library/LaunchAgents /Library/LaunchDaemons /System/Library/LaunchAgents /System/Library/LaunchDaemons
- Empty your Trash Bin.
Remove S3.amazonaws.com Fake Profile From Mac
Configuration profiles in Mac OS, defines set of rules letting administrations or workplaces to standardize settings on devices. As, as admin can create profiles to configure wi-fi settings, mail accounts, VPN, server connections and more.
Many times, Virus apps like Amazonaws virus may create fake profile that connect to specific URL, restrict removal and so on. Thus, you should check for any profile configuration created by malicious programs. So you need to find and remove fake profiles.
- Choose Apple menu→ System Preferences → Profiles;
- Check for Amazonaws Profile, select it and click on (—) minus button in the bottom;
Remove S3.amazonaws.com From Login Items
Login items are programs that launch automatically when your system boots. Adware often sets itself up as a login item so it can relaunch every time your computer boots.
Here’s how to find and delete them:
To remove login items from Mac, follow the steps:
- On the Apple menu > click System Preferences.
- Next, choose “Users & Groups” icon;
- With your Username chosen, switch to the “Login Items” tab.
- If you see Amazonaws name under login items, then click on “—” sign at the bottom to remove it.
- After that, restart your Mac, to make changes into affect.
Remove S3.amazonaws.com From Web Browsers (Safari, Chrome)
Most of the viruses, adware or PUA get installed via fake pop-up alerts generated from suspicious pages. So, you should quickly close such pages and if you have clicked on allow for sending pop-ups ads to your browser. Then better to get rid of S3.amazonaws.com pop-up ads from web browsers, remove extensions and homepage redirects:
Remove S3.amazonaws.com From Safari:
Block S3.amazonaws.com Pop-up Ads from Safari Browser:
- Open Safari Preferences from top menu;
- Now, Switch to “Security” Tab;
- Click on “Block Pop-ups Windows” and “Fraudulent Website Warning” settings.
- Choose Safari > Preferences;
- Select Websites;
- Then, click Pop-up Windows.
- You will list of websites will actions enabled for it. Click on the S3.amazonaws.com website and select Block and Notify or Block to get rid of pop-ups from S3.amazonaws.com.
Uncheck Enable JavaSript option under “Security” Tab.
To Remove extensions from Safari, follow the below steps:
- Click on Safari menu →Preferences → go to Extensions Tab;
- Look for unwanted extensions active on your Safari;
- To remove extension from Safari, Select it and click on “Uninstall”.
To Restore Your Homepage In Safari, Follow the below steps:
- Click on Safari menu →Preferences → go to General Tab;
- Under the “Homepage” field, remove unknown URL and enter address of your choice like “google.com”.
To remove Safari’s Preferences file, follow the mentioned steps:
- Quit Safari browser.
- Next, while you are on Finder, choose Go > Go to Folder.
- Under the Go to Folder pop-up window, type the following path and click “Go”: ~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Safari.plist
- Now, delete the file and launch your Safari again.
Clear Safari Cache:
- You need to click Safari → Preferences →go to “Advanced” tab;
- Next, in the bottom of the window, click on the checkbox showing “Show Develop menu in menu bar”;
- Now, you will see a “Develop” menu on top bar, choose “Empty Caches”;
If you want to completely reset Safari, then here are the 3 ways to reset Safari without opening it.
Clean Up Your Google Chrome:
To get rid of Pop-up Ads On Chrome, follow the steps below:
- To open Chrome’s main menu, click on three vertical dots on top-right corner. Next, click on “Settings”;
- Locate “Privacy and Security” section, and click on “Site settings”;
- Scroll down and click on “Pop-ups and redirects”; Here you will see website list showing pop-up notification;
- To block pop-up ads on Chrome, click three vertical dots beside the Allow section, add S3.amazonaws.com URL and click “Block”;
To Remove Fake Extensions From Chrome Browser
- Open Extensions page on Chrome type
chrome://extensions/on your address bar;
- To remove fake Extension from Chrome, click on “Remove” beside the extension name.
Restore Your Homepage In Chrome
- To access Homepage setting on Chrome type
- Here you see default homepage URL that opens every time you launch your browser. Remove it and type the new one you want.
- Next, remove fake search engine, by typing
- Under “Manage search engines”, click on the search engine you want to remove;
Reset Google Chrome Browser:
Use Reset Google Chrome From Mac, when you wish to remove all the unwanted changes made by any unknown program. It will delete cookies, cache, extensions, startup settings, homepage and new tab preferences. You should note that, it will not your saved passwords and bookmarks. (Better to Sync the browser with Google account to secure them).
- Open Chrome’s menu by clicking on 3 dots on top-right corner, and click “Settings” from the menu;
- Scroll to the bottom, and click on “Advanced”;
- Under the section “Reset settings,” section click on “Restore settings to its original Defaults”;
- Now, to reset Google Chrome browser on Mac, click on “Reset Settings”;
- Click “Yes”, to the prompt asking to restart the browser.
This should fix your issue, however, often times malicious programs creates new policies that restrict the removal of unknown program after resetting. You need to check, if there is any unknown policies created by adware kind of programs. If you want to stop Chrome from opening automatically at login on Mac, then follow this tutorial.
To check Chrome’s policy simply type
"chrome://policy" to your address bar. Now to reset policies from chrome browser, follow here:
- Open Terminal window by selecting Go to Finder → Go → Utilities → Terminal;
- Now, you need to run the below commands and press “Enter” one by one.
defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageIsNewTabPage -bool false
defaults write com.google.Chrome NewTabPageLocation -string "https://www.google.com/"
defaults write com.google.Chrome HomepageLocation -string "https://www.google.com/"
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderSearchURL
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderNewTabURL
defaults delete com.google.Chrome DefaultSearchProviderName
Relaunch Chrome. To reload default policies type
"chrome://policy"on the address bar. Now click on “Reload policies”.
Get Rid of S3.amazonaws.com From Mac with CleanMyMac X
The best way to deal with malicious programs is to run a malware scan to detect the hidden files and components and remove them permanently. Although, if you already have any anti-malware program installed, then you can do a full-system scan to get rid of Virus on Mac.
But here we recommend you CleanMyMac X which is developed by MacPaw and is notarized by Apple. Other than malware removal, it also has lots of useful features that comes handy in situations like these.
For example, real-time threat monitoring, application uninstaller, resetting browsers, freeing up system space, optimization and lots more.
- Download CleanMyMac X.
- Once it finishes the installation, launch it on your Mac.
- From the left-menu section choose “Malware Removal“;
- Press Click on “Scan“;
- If it detects any sort of Adware, browser hijacker, spyware and even malicious programs, it will allow you to remove it.