How To Fix Windows Hello Couldn’t Find Compatible Camera Issue
This article will help you fix the Windows Hello Couldn’t Find Compatible Camera on Windows 10.
Before that, let us know a bit about Windows Hello and why you should use this feature.
What is Windows Hello?
Among various sign-in options, Windows Hello is the latest addition. It is considered as the most secure ways of sign in to your Windows 10 computer. As it uses your compatible camera for face recognition and lets you sign in quickly.
Oftentimes, we forget our login passwords, or even fingerprints does not work sometime. So, Windows Hello is just an instant way to sign-in without remembering your password.
Although, to activate Windows Hello or fingerprint you need to first set up your PIN as a part of the settings. PIN is a 2-digit code that can also use to sign-in to your Windows OS. It also helps in recovery your account synced with Microsoft.
Best part is, it is compatible to most of the Microsoft apps and others like Drobox, iHeartRadio. So you don’t need your password to sign-in to them. Just your smile is enough..
But most of the users are struggling to with the Windows Hello issue that says:
“This option is currently unavailable -Click to know more
We can’t find a camera compatible to Windows Hello”.
So, before trying to fix Windows Hello Couldn’t Find Compatible Camera on Windows 10. You should know that Windows Hello uses infrared (IR) camera for facial recognition. And unfortunately, not most of the in-built webcam have are IR cameras. So, in this case you will be wasting your time to troubleshooting this issue.
But now a days, there are various new laptops that comes with IR camera compatible with Windows Hello.
So first you need to check if your Camera is compatible to Windows Hello.
How To Check If Your Camera Is Compatible to Windows Hello?
Windows 10 Hello Facial Recognition supports Intel RealSense or 3D Camera for face recognition.
The easiest way to check if your device camera is compatible to Windows hello, is identify IR camera if present.
Check Your Installed Camera in Windows 10:
- In the Search box, type “Device Manager“;
- Under Device Manager window, check for “Imaging Devices“.
- If your system has the supported one, then it will show like “HP IR Camera” or “Intel(R) RealSense(TM) 3D Camera (R200) Depth”.
- If no, then it means you don’t have an IR camera.
Now, if your camera is compatible to Windows 10, then you can procced with troubleshooting the Windows Hello Couldn’t Find Compatible Camera Issue.
There are 5 ways through which you can Fix Windows Hello Couldn’t Find Compatible Camera Issue.
- Updating IR Camera Drivers
- Installing the Windows Hello Biometric files
- Resetting Windows Hello Biometric Database
- Install Windows Hello Face Optional Feature
- Resetting Windows Hello sign-in
Lets, fix Windows Hello Couldn’t Find Compatible Camera Issue together:
Updating IR Camera Drivers
Windows Hello Face Recognition may not work if your infrared (IR) camera may not be turn on or their drivers are not updated. In such case, you may face some issues. So, reinstalling the IR camera drivers may fix this.
- In the search box on your taskbar, type “Device Manager“.
- Under the Device Manager window, look for “Imaging devices” double-click to expand it;
- Click on the “IR camera” name and select “Update“;
- Or you can uninstall the driver and then search the web to download the drivers and install them.
- Now, Restart your PC to check if Windows Hello face recognition sign-in works fine.
Installing the Windows Hello Biometric files
Windows Hello Biometrics files are located under the following location : C:\Windows\System32\WinBioPlugIns\FaceDriver.
- Open File Explorer, and type “C:\Windows\System32\WinBioPlugIns\FaceDriver“;
- Here, you will see two files named as:
- Right on them and click on “Install“.
- Now, after that, restart your system to check if Windows Hello Face recognition feature is working fine.
Resetting Windows Hello Biometric Database
Next, fix is to reset Windows Hello Biometric Database files. This may help fixing the Windows Hello Couldn’t Find Compatible Camera Issue.
So, lets being:
- Open Run dialog box (win+R)
- Type “services.msc” and click on “OK”.
- Now, locate “Windows Biometric Service“, click on it and then you will see start and stop options, now click on “Stop” (don’t close the window).
- Next, open file explorer and type the address:” C:\Windows\System32\WinBioDatabase“.
- Copy whatever file you see under WinBioDatabase folder and paste it in the desktop.
- After that, delete those files and go back to “Windows Biometric Service” and click on “Start“.
Now, check Windows Hello Sign-in option again.
Go to Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options > Click Windows Hello Face.
Install Windows Hello Face Optional Feature
Windows 10 offers a number of optional features and Windows Hello is also one of them. So, you should check if this feature is active and installed on your Windows 10 or not.
- Go to Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features.
- You will find an Optional features option.
- Click on it to check for “Windows Hello Face“.
- If it is already installed, then you don’t need to do anything. And if not then you can “Install” it.
- Once done, restart your PC.
Resetting Windows Hello sign-in
If you were earlier using Windows Hello Face sign-in and suddenly it stopped working or showing error, then resetting may solve it. So you should try Removing the Windows Hello face Sign-in option, and try setting up the process again.
- Select Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options .
- In the Windows Hello Face options click Remove.
- In the PIN area, click Remove, and then click Remove again to confirm.
- Type your password in the Password field, and then click OK.
How To Set-up Windows Hello Face Sign-in?
- Select Start > Settings > Accounts > Sign-in options .
- You will see options like Windows Hello Face, Windows Hello Fingerprint, PIN, Password, Picture Password and security key.
- Choose Windows Hello and click on “Set up“;
- Before setting any other biometric, you need to Enter your PIN, so if you don’t have set up your PIN, then it may ask you to do so as “Get Started” button.
- Now, after entering your PIN, it will open your IR camera to set up facing recognition.
- So, now you are all set.
What To Do If Your PC is not compatible to Windows Hello Face Recognition?
In case your PC is not compatible to Windows Hello Face, then either you can plan to buy a new PC which supports Windows Face recognition. Else you can have an external camera that supports 3D or IR technology.
Some of the recommended Windows 10 laptop having Windows Hello Face recognition technology are:
- HP Spectre x360 15: This 360 degrees convertible laptop comes with HP True vision IR Camera. Build with latest hexacore 10th gen Intel i7 core processor. Fully 15.6 4K Touchscreen, 16 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Nvidia GTX 1650Ti 4GB Graphics, Windows Pro and Pen support.
- Dell Latitude 5310 Laptop – 13.3″: Full HD Touchscreen Display with W/IR Camera. Build with 1.8 GHz Intel Core i7 Quad-Core, 16GB DDR RAM and 512GB SSD, supports LTE, Touch Fingerprint Reader and Windows 10 Pro.
- ASUS ZenBook 14: Its the latest 11-gen ultra light and most portable laptop with number pad and thunderbolt 4. Has Full HD Display, Intel Core i7 processor , 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD, built-in IR camera and Windows 10 home.
- Microsoft Surface Pro 7 – 12.3″: The latest model comes with full Touch-Screen – 10th Gen Intel Core i7 – 16GB Memory – 1TB SSD, with rear camera of 8 MP. A gorgeous display, pen support to touch, write and draw, built-in support for Windows 10 Hello face recognition.
- Lenovo ThinkPad P15v– This 15.6 inch comes in full HD (1920×1080) resolution, IR Camera, build with Intel i7 core, 32 GB DDR4 RAM and 2 TB SSD. Additionally, it has Backlit, Fingerprint Reader, Win10 Pro, as well as 1YR Lenovo Warranty.
Here are some recommendations on Windows 10 laptop having Windows Hello Face recognition technology.
Also, you can opt for external IR camera that supports facial recognition, and yet cost effective than buying a new laptop.
Best External IR Webcam for Facial Recognition are:
- Logitech BRIO Ultra HD Webcam: The Logitech Brio 4K delivers the best video conferencing performance. It automatically adjusts exposures and contracts to deliver HDR quality picture. Having infrared camera to support facial recognition with Windows Hello. Also great for video streaming, recording, and video conferencing.
- Kaysuda Face Recognition USB IR Camera: Offering video quality of 720p, this webcam offers facial recognition rate of 1 second with its IR camera. Its the best Windows Hello supported webcam that perfectly fits your budget. While not offering 4k, but video conferencing works fine.
- MouseComputer Facial Recognition Work from Home Conferencing Web Camera: It offers high security windows hello login, anti-spoofing and dual microphone. It has multi-user adaptive feature that makes it easy to share with your other family members. Again, it is a budget-friendly webcam with 720p video conferencing.